Background on Abortion for Trust Women Week
By catherine ,
There will always be women who need access to abortions.
Abortion is basic health care for women.
- 1 in 3 American women will have had an abortion by age 45.
- About 50% of pregnancies in the U.S. are unintended.
- 4 in 10 unintended pregnancies are terminated by abortion.
- In 2008, 1.21 million abortions were performed in US.
- Teen pregnancy accounts for only 2 in 10 of all abortions
performed in the US.
- Women in their twenties account for more than half of all
abortions performed in the US.
- 88% of abortions occur in the 1st 12 weeks. Only
1.5% occur later in the term.
- 6 in 10 women having abortions already have one or more
- These women often cite the need to care for their children as a primary reason for choosing to have an abortion.
Catholics support birth control and have abortions.
- “ Sensus fidelium —the graced and experience-fed wisdom of the faithful that has always been one of the sources of truth in the Catholic tradition.”
- 98% of sexually active Catholic women have used a form of contraception banned by the Catholic Church.
- As recently as 1968, a majority of the Pope’s advisors agreed that there was no pastoral reason to ban Catholics from using contraception.